To get their first customers, startups used to rely on direct mail, outdoor advertising, coupon mailers and print media. The internet has made the world a better place.
62% customers use the internet to search for information and find brands. If your company wants to tap into the vast potential of digital marketing, it must use digital marketing to increase sales and generate leads.
Let’s start with the basics of digital marketing. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular digital marketing strategies and show you how to make them work for your benefit. No worries if you are just starting to think about your digital marketing strategy. To get the best results, we’ll help you identify the right talents in your team. Ready?
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is also known as internet marketing or online marketing. It refers to the variety of marketing strategies companies use to interact with prospects and customers online. Digital marketing can be done across many media channels. It can take many forms such as:
Email Marketing: This is an email marketing method that uses email. Email marketing has a staggering ROI of 3600% . It’s not surprising that many companies use this strategy to generate leads and nurture them to become customers.
Content Marketing Content Marketing Institute describes content marketing to be a strategic marketing strategy that focuses on creating, distributing, and maintaining consistent, relevant and valuable content in order to retain or attract customers. According to SemRush 97% use content marketing in order to build brand awareness and attract new customers.
Social media Marketing: This is any type of marketing activity that you use social media for: Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok and Instagram. 71% of potential customers use social media to find brand information. It is vital that you make this channel a part of your marketing strategy.
SEO : Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is a marketing strategy that optimizes content to increase SERP rankings and drive more traffic to your site. SEO is a part of other digital marketing strategies, such as content creation and email marketing.
PPC advertising (PPC), is where you pay every time someone clicks on your advertisement . PPC can be used in many ways, including YouTube ads and social media ads.
Video Marketing: Video Marketing is just what its name implies — a marketing strategy that uses video. Video marketing is very effective in increasing web traffic and generating leads. It’s also highly engaging and popular.
These strategies can be used to increase traffic to your website. This is the ultimate goal of digital marketing. After you have generated website traffic, you need to convert this traffic to email subscribers and leads. You’ll nurture these leads until you become their customers.
You will first need to draw those visitors to your site. You’ll need to convert those visitors to leads and collect their contact information. Next, you will want to nurture those leads until they are converted.
Attract: These tactics should bring people back to your site.
- Marketing via social media
- Video marketing
Convert site visitors into leads: These tactics encourage site visitors sign up for email marketing.
- Content marketing
- Video marketing
Nurture customers and convert them to customers: These strategies can be used to give your subscribers more information to help them become more educated about what you offer and make a purchase.
- Content marketing
- Email marketing
- Video marketing
Digital Marketing Team Members
It is interesting to note that 89% top marketing teams align their customer journey strategy with marketing roles. You’d likely have many roles in your marketing group if you took the approach of these teams.
- Marketing strategist
- PPC Manager
- Project manager
- Specialist in social media
- Content editor
- SEO expert
- Graphic designer
- Front-end developer
Keep in mind, however, that not all teams are created the same way. Your goals, output and budget may dictate the number of key players you need for your team.
What is digital marketing?
There are many digital marketing strategies, but not all of them can drive traffic or increase revenue generation for your company. Here are some ways you can make the most of digital marketing.
- Identify your marketing goals. What are you trying to accomplish — new customers, brand awareness, retention, or acquisition? Your marketing goals should be defined.
- Identify your target market and obtain their demographic data, such as income, age, and location. It will be easier to reach them if you have more information.
- How to reach your target audience You probably know where your target audience hangs out online. This information is likely to be a result of your research on them. This information will help you choose the right channels and tactics to get your message across.
- Optimize messages for each channel: To maximize your performance, you must adopt a multichannel marketing strategy. You must ensure that the message is consistent across all channels.
- Measure campaign performance: Use the KPIs to monitor campaign performance and make adjustments if necessary.
7 Terms of Digital Marketing You Must Know
There are many marketing terminologies available when you start digital marketing. It can be difficult to keep up with all of the jargon . Here are seven terms that you should know.
- Buyer persona – A fictional representation of your archetypal client, based on data you have.
- CPC (Cost Per Click): A popular PPC strategy, this refers to the price you pay each time someone clicks on your online ads.
- Call to Action (CTA) is a button that you use to grab the attention of potential customers.
- Lead generation – This is the process of attracting potential customers to your business.
- Conversion Rate: This is the percentage of customers who take a desired action such as signing up to a newsletter or purchasing a product.
- Customer acquisition costs (CAC). The cost of acquiring customers. CAC is the sum of sales and marketing expenses / total number of customers or conversions.
- Customer lifetime worth (CLV): Also called lifetime customer value, CLV is the amount of revenue that a customer brings your business. CLV is the customer’s lifetime x the average amount of purchases.
Marketing is a fast-paced industry. We often think that we can just follow the flow and our business will reap the benefits of being flexible. No matter how flexible you are with your marketing approach, it is important that you have a solid understanding of digital marketing basics. This guide is intended to be a refresher and to be used often to help you navigate the many pivots and shifts that your marketing strategy will go through.
You can also read this reviews: Marketo – Adobeâ€™s Email Marketing Automation Solution Marketo Reviews: Adobeâ€™s Email Marketing Automation Solution